No time to exercise? There's an app for that.

After promising my good friend Jones* that I would write a series of blog posts about finding time to fit exercise into a busy schedule, I felt galvanised - ready for action! Seeking some inspiration, I turned to the one thing that promises to solve so many of our problems in modern society: THE SMART PHONE.

With a world of applications just a few taps away, I immediately headed to the App Store. There are countless fitness apps out there - so, being the penny-conscious recovering diet addict that I am, I decided to focus on the free ones!

By the time that you have scrolled through the couch to 5ks, step trackers and calorie counters, many of the apps seem pretty much the same. Most of them provide a 7 minute workout that you can do once for a quick 'blast' or repeat numerous times like a circuit. They need very little equipment and, being on your phone/iPad, you can do them any time / anywhere.

I once signed up to FitStar Personal Trainer but found the whole thing so "faffy" that I gave up before I even started.  I decided not to try this one again. Then I discovered an old favourite: Seven. A full body, HI workout in 7 minutes. There is no set up; you simply download it on to your phone and hit start. Let's go!


 

 
12 exercises, 30 seconds each. You get a heads up before the exercise starts so that you can get into position and there is an animation of an agile-looking chap to show you how you should look (but clearly do not; why is he finding it so easy?)

 
 
 Pros
  •  Your phone is portable and you don't need any equipment so you really can do this anywhere.
  • The app is so easy to use - even I can do it (someone who spent weeks squinting at their iPhone because they didn't realise that they had changed the screen brightness with their cheek).
  • The exercises are simple and easily accessible for those who haven't exercised before.
  • We can all find 7 minutes in our day.
  • The creators try and mix up the order to keep you guessing as to what is coming next.
  • You can buy (relatively cheaply) additional workouts to add a bit of variety.
 
Cons
  • Apps clearly have their limitations - how exciting can you really make jumping jacks and step ups?!
  • I need a little more motivation than an animation and a countdown clock.
  • No modifications if you struggle/suffer from an injury.
  • No progression or way to record reps. How do you know that you are improving? How do you monitor your progress?
  • I'm a sweater! I couldn't just do this in my normal clothes (like some people that I know) and then carry on with my day. If I am going to exercise, I need to put on appropriate clothes and shower afterwards - that seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to for 7 minutes of exercise.
 
The Verdict
Maybe it is the technophobe in me but I am not convinced. I used to use this as an additional cardio blast after a weights session or at the end of a workout - it definitely had its place. But is it exciting or motivating enough to lure me out of bed at 5am or off the sofa at 9pm? Probably not. That being said, it may work for you so, seeing that it is free, why not download it and give it a go?

For me, however, the search continues...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snooze, Denial, Repeat: The Morning Workout Experiment

From Couch Potato to Skinny French Fry Running in Lycra

5 Signs it's Time to Do Something About the Baby Weight