Snooze, Denial, Repeat: The Morning Workout Experiment

In a mission to find more time to exercise during the working week, this week I tried to wake up 40 minutes earlier to workout before work...

Monday
5am alarm: OH DEAR GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why did I think that this would be a good idea?! Just one snooze? Go on then. Another? Oh balls, I have overslept... Cue rushing to get ready to work. That counts as cardio right?

Husband was very smug tonight (he found the whole premise of this experiment incredibly comical). Determined to prove him wrong, I announced that I would be sleeping in my workout clothes. This did not go down well. Very cold night so put on extra comfy pyjamas....


Tuesday
4am wake up. I have to get up and exercise in an hour? No thank you. Immediately changed my alarm back to 5.40. Another epic fail.

Clearly need more direction. Sneak into bed wearing a sports bra under my t-shirt, set my alarm for 5.15am and decide on a short morning yoga session for tomorrow - something potentially achievable?


Wednesday
Hurrah! I have achieved the impossible. I managed to make it out of bed, put on my leggings (albeit back to front) and stumble downstairs for morning yoga. I only had time for a 15 minute, "energising morning" practice; something is better than nothing though right? Feeling very accomplished.


Thursday
Took the dog to daycare this morning, meaning that I HAD to leave for work 30 minutes later (they don't open until 7.30). Not going to give up the opportunity to have a lay in on a school day! All good intentions went straight out the window when I realised that I could possibly have TWO cups of tea. Feeling pretty guilty. What a failure. Big workout tonight instead.

Friday
Came home from work with the migraine from HELL last night. Ended up on the sofa with a cardigan wrapped around my head to block out the light before my husband put me to bed. Did not set alarm but instead woke up feeling like I had an incredible hangover (minus the fun of the alcohol). Dragged myself out of bed at 5.45am and managed to get to work on time.


So, what did I learn from my week of failure?

Morning workouts can be fantastic. They set you up for the day ahead and leave you with extra time in the evenings to do what you want. If I had a "normal" job, where I didn't have to get in until 9am, this would definitely be the way I would go. If you have to leave for work before 7am, however, then getting up any earlier than you absolutely have to is MADNESS!!!!

Comments

  1. Haha! It was an interesting post on The Morning Workout Experiment. I liked it. Even I too had hard time waking up early for the workouts but now I am used to my schedule. In fact I feel so low when I don’t work out. Love to experiment with the clothes so that I feel motivates. Have a huge collection of shorts, sweat shirts, tank tops and the mesh leggings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Signs it's Time to Do Something About the Baby Weight

Binge Watching Netflix in my Activewear - Getting Off the Sofa and into the Gym