Back and Ready for Action: Not Letting Stress Get You Down

It's amazing. I have spent years battling my demons with food and many times I have felt as if I really had things under control. The truth of the matter is that when you grow up with an unhealthy relationship with food, there is no overnight fix.

I have had to come to terms with the fact that just as an alcoholic will always be an alcoholic (even if they are sober), I will always struggle with my diet (even if at times I have things under control). Yes, I know that this seems extreme, but when your life revolves around something and it feels like you are fighting a constant battle, there are many parallels that can be drawn.

I haven't posted in a while; I haven't had much....inspiration. Work hasn't been great, I haven't been recovering from my ankle injury as quickly as I had hoped and I seem to have got myself into a bit of a rut. I think that many people can empathise with this: you get home late after a long, stressful day and your mind is filled to the brim with worries, questions and you are compiling to-do list that you never seem to come to the end of. The easiest thing to stop caring about is yourself.

The thing that I don't understand is that I have educated myself about this. I know that when I exercise and eat well, I feel good about myself, my relationship is better and I even do better at work. So then why I struggle to turn this knowledge into action?

Well, after a twelve hour day when you feel like you are drowning under.....urgh, sometimes you just want a glass (or a whole bottle) of wine, an easy dinner and YES maybe a MASSIVE piece of cake. I guess that the key word here is "sometimes". My "sometimes" has lasted about a month and MY GOODNESS has my self esteem taken a beating as a result of this.

This is why I love writing this blog. It is a reminder of how I want to live my life and not to go back to my old ways. I am not going to punish myself for a few weeks of gluttony. Instead I will accept it and move forward (well after a bit more indulgence at my friend's hen this weekend). What am I trying to say? Don't punish yourself for your mistakes, but acknowledge and learn from them. Sometimes we need to just....be....accept (when we are ready) and then move forward. Always move forward.

Watch out - there will be lots of exciting recipes and fitness posts coming soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snooze, Denial, Repeat: The Morning Workout Experiment

From Couch Potato to Skinny French Fry Running in Lycra

Avocado Dreaming