Avocado Dreaming

One of the things that I found most confusing about being on Slimming World, was that I was encouraged to limit my consumption of healthy fats such as nuts and avocados (both have a high "syn" value), whilst diet fizzy drinks, full of artificial sweeteners, were considered a "free" food, and you could consume as much as you want of them... Sorry Slimming World, but I just don't agree.

Avocados are incredible! Full of healthy fats and lots of goodness (yes, this is the scientific term); they can improve your skin, cardiovascular health and even HELP you to lose weight (if eaten in moderation - not a word that I am usually familiar with).

One of my favourite ways to eat an avocado is on its own with a spoon. As this is not the most innovative recipe, I thought that I would share 3 recipes to incorporate this versatile fruit into your diet. From breakfast to pudding, you are sure to find something to suit your taste:

Avocado Baked Eggs


As a healthy breakfast or a tasty snack, this meal is packed with omega 3 and filling protein.

1. Half an avocado and scoop out the center of each.

3. Crack one egg into each avocado half and bake in a preheated oven (180 degrees) for 10-15 minutes (or until the egg is cooked through).

4. Top with salt, pepper and a sprinkling of chives. Then enjoy :)





Blue Cheese, Bacon and Avocado Salad (serves 2)


Adapted from Skinny Weeks and Weekend Treats
When it comes to lunchtimes, I struggle. As a non-sandwich eater, I find it hard to find things to take to work for lunch (first world problems). This bright and tasty salad feels like a real treat, and also keeps if you want to pack up a portion for work.

Salads are pretty easy to make, so I wont patronise you with the details. Chop to similar sizes and mix it all up in a big bowl. Serve with a few tablespoons of base dressing (see below).


  • 2 hard boiled eggs
  • 4 rashers of grilled bacon (I go for medallions to save the fat)
  • 1 little gem lettuce (I also threw in a handful of mixed leaves from my latest veg box delivery)
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • A handful of cherry tomatoes
  • 40g of blue cheese

For the base dressing mix 100ml extra virgin olive oil, 3 tbsp red wine vinegar, juice of half a lemon, 1 tsp Djon or wholegrain mustard and a little salt and pepper. Store in the fridge and drizzle over your salads for a 'kick'. 




Yummy Chocolate Pudding (makes 2)


I ran out of fresh berries, so substituted frozen.
This chocolate pudding really is a dream come true. A naughty treat where you can pronounce all of the ingredients. How heavenly! You will need:


1 banana
2 ripe avocados
2 tablespoons of cacao or carob powder
2 tablespoons of honey

1. Place ingredients in a blender/food processor and blend until smooth.

2. Portion up and chill (I pop mine in the freezer for half an hour...if I can wait...)

3. Serve with strawberries or fresh berries of your choice.

4. ENJOY!



P.S. I went a little overboard and bought 10 avocados in last week's shop (these recipes can be addictive).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snooze, Denial, Repeat: The Morning Workout Experiment

From Couch Potato to Skinny French Fry Running in Lycra