From Couch Potato to Skinny French Fry Running in Lycra

Hurrah! The sun has arrived! This means only one thing: time to dust of my running shoes and head outdoors. This time last year I was a keen runner (not that you would know it to look at me now); I even took part in half marathons and crazy running challenges for charity. 


Me running 100km in 10 days (2013) for Cancer Research UK.

To say that I am out of shape at the moment....well....it would be a little bit of an understatement. I have been caught in that awful trap of not heading out because I know how hard it would be, then getting worse because I'm not running. 

Today was the day to stop feeling sorry for myself and crack out the iPod. "But can't it wait until next week? It is always better to start something new on a Monday!" I heard myself thinking. I needed motivation. Today it came in the shape of a small bundle of fluff: Bear - my 6 month old Collie X Kelpie. With these little eyes staring up at me, desperate to get outside and explore, who was I to say no?


Meet Bear!
So, I hit the App Store and downloaded a couch to 10k app. Easing ourselves in gently, Bear and I started on Day 1 and went for a gentle walk / run around the river. It was just what I needed! Starting with 60 seconds running / 90 seconds walking, it wasn't the toughest of jogs but remember: exercise isn't always about pushing yourself to the limit, it is about doing something that you ENJOY, getting off of your bum, doing something....anything that means you aren't sat on the sofa watching re-runs of Come Dine With Me (or any other show of your choice).

The app is designed to get you comfortably running 10km in 14 weeks: running 3 days a week, slowly increasing distance and running time, whilst reducing walking time. That is 42 runs in total: 1 down, 41 to go. For me, this is an achievable goal. 

Everyone needs a reason to run (what else will keep you going when your legs are burning and you a struggling for air?). Last time I ran to raise money for charity, this summer I will be running to enjoy the weather and spend time with Bear. Running together means that we are both getting our daily exercise! You may not have a Bear to motivate you (and for that I am deeply sorry) but find your reason to run, and find a friend to do it with! I can't think of a better way to spend a morning whilst enjoying this beautiful sunshine!

There are plenty of running apps available, many of which are free. The NHS has released an app called Couch to 5k which is great if you are new to running. I went for a free 0 -10k app called 10K for Pink. Why not try a few and see if it works for you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snooze, Denial, Repeat: The Morning Workout Experiment

Avocado Dreaming